Author Topic: What movies did YOU watch this xmas?  (Read 7004 times)

Offline Diane CBPFC

What movies did YOU watch this xmas?
« on: December 26, 2013, 10:56:22 PM »
We are waiting for the highways not to be skating rinks, then we plan to drive to the city to see the second Hobbits movie.

Our top DVD this year has been the new superman movie "Man of Steel" The trouble in our family is that some of us (#1 child Evan, #3 child Kate) take epic movies much too seriously whilst others of us like to make quips throughout the show. Couldn’t help but saying out loud during the scene where Superman’s bio daddy shows him the “Superman” suit on the abandoned ship – “Oh, and Grandma sent you these Christmas jammies”. That was where we lost Evan.
People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Offline Roger Kettle

• Roger
  • Ho! Ho! £$%^&* Ho!
Re: What movies did YOU watch this xmas?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 09:36:56 AM »
 ;D
I didn't really watch much this Christmas. Dipped into "It's a Wonderful Life" just for the mushy bits but that was about it. There are a couple of channels that show absolutely dire made-for-television movies which all appear to be about Santa's dippy daughter saving Christmas for Manhattan orphans. I didn't see the Queen's annual speech either but, apparently, she failed to mention Beau Peep yet again.

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 09:42:33 AM »
Miracle on 34th Street - Matilda Version.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 04:08:21 PM »
I'm afraid that this year, the telly scunnered me more than ever, so God bless the horror channel for keeping me sane. Warlords of Atlantis, Twins of Evil (Peter Cushing...what a puritan), what can I say? What would Christmas be without some classic old movies and a few witches burned at the stake ?

God bless us everyone.

(c) TT

Life Blood tomorrow at 0045...don't say I didn't let you know.    ;)

Offline Max

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 08:39:55 PM »
Watched Gravity last week, well pleased with that one effects are stunning.
The Butler, last night, afraid I turned it off after an hour, but maybe on a different day I'd like it.
Out of the furnace with Christian Bale and Woody Harrelson, good movie but very violent.
Just watched the first 10 minutes of Rush about James Hunt and Nicki Lauda, this looks brilliant so far.

Of course it wouldn't be Christmas without seeing National lampoon's Christmas vacation.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:58:39 PM by Max »

Offline Mince

• Utter Waste of Time
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 08:47:47 PM »

I found it one of the most boring films of the decade.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 09:48:17 PM »

I found it one of the most boring films of the decade.

Bit harsh...there's still 6 and bit years to go in this one yet.

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 04:45:11 PM »
I have three old movies on VHS that I watch every holiday season and try to drag the family into – we caught “A Child’s Christmas in Wales” on the TV, but they CUT out some of the best bits out so will be sticking with the VHS in future.  The others are “Muppet’s Christmas Carol” and last night we got around to “Trapped in Paradise” with Nicolas Cage.  I must admit that I did fall asleep for a while in the middle of that one but it is all about family traditions and being together and I think I got away with it.

I am pretty sure that I can’t watch Sandra Bullock in a serious movie anymore, like Tim Curry before her, she has crossed that line for me where I can’t but smile when I see her face.

I bought the complete Dad’s army and we have been watching a that a few episodes at a time for several weeks now  – it amuses me and my daughter greatly. Yesterday it was the episode where the German U-boat commander orders nice crispy golden chips – not nasty soggy ones.

People will come from strange lands to hear me speak my words of wisdom. They will ask me the secret of life and I will tell them. Then maybe I'll finish off with a song. The Nomad

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 06:05:33 PM »
Tim Curry...my favourite actor of all time. He is da man. There's not a guy on this planet can wear a basque and fishnets like him. Great serious actor too...and what about "It"? I love horrors but that film seriously creeped me out.

We bought old comedy too funnily enough this year. A boxset of "Porridge" for my father that we're desperate for him to open so we can get a free watch at it. Classic comedy is well named for a reason.

Altogether now..."Norman Stanley Fletcher..."

:)

Malc

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 12:09:41 AM »
I can't stand Christmas movies with D list actresses who play brilliant ice skating college girls who are also physics whizzes in cities with no litter, and all the guys are clean-shaven.

That was only one movie, and I couldn't watch it for more than ten minutes and that's as much of the plot as I could garner. However, all the other movies seemed to be versions of it.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2013, 12:33:34 AM »
I can't stand Christmas movies with D list actresses who play brilliant ice skating college girls who are also physics whizzes in cities with no litter, and all the guys are clean-shaven.

That was only one movie, and I couldn't watch it for more than ten minutes and that's as much of the plot as I could garner. However, all the other movies seemed to be versions of it.

Exactly why I watch the horror channel. "Rabies" just finishing..."Life Blood" here I come.   :)

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 03:06:40 AM »
I only have very faint recollections of “Porridge” just had to google it. That would have been a nice gift to wrap up in a basket with instant porridge packets.  :)

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 05:16:35 PM »
I only have very faint recollections of “Porridge” just had to google it. That would have been a nice gift to wrap up in a basket with instant porridge packets.  :)

The Buttcheeks do things better than that.

We falsely accused him of criminal activity, reported him to the police and now, not only can he watch "Porridge", he can experience the lifestyle first hand. See, it's going that extra yard at Xmas that makes all the difference.

(Far cheaper than a nursing home too...win/win if you ask me)

:)

Offline Diane CBPFC

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »
Thank goodness you didn’t buy him “Titanic” – the poor old bugger would be bobbling about on an ice flow as we head into the New Year.

Sandy Buttcheeks

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 09:08:01 PM »
Thank goodness you didn’t buy him “Titanic” – the poor old bugger would be bobbling about on an ice flow as we head into the New Year.

Bobbling about, I'll accept. If he starts singing Celine Dion, I'll blowtorch his ice flow personally.  >:(